Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: my first harp

my first harp 2 months 1 week ago #14091

• keith
  • Thank you received: 220
Welcome aboard. :)

I started out on a Special 20 in C too, it is a good one to start with, but likely won't be the last. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: allanh53

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

my first harp 2 months 1 week ago #14094

at least my lips wont bleed trying to bend a note like when i was learning guitar, or will it ? :) as for re-tuning i wouldnt know where to start so bending it is

my first harp 2 months 1 week ago #14095

• Sarge
  • Thank you received: 425
Don't even think about re-tuning, bending notes, over blowing or any other stuff like that right now. Just start playing around with your harp. See if you can pick out simple tunes like Mary Had a Little Lamb or Twinkle Twinkle. Keep playing those simple tunes to get really familiar with the layout of your harp and it will be intuitive for you to know where the note is that you want to hear. You have to hear to be able to play the harmonica and have a good ear. You can't see what you are doing like you can with the guitar.

my first harp 2 months 1 week ago #14098

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 245
Allenh53, listen to Sarge. There are many songs to play without going to blow 3 and below. Learn the fundamentals first. Bending for playing blues will take so much time to perfect that you’ll probably give up before you discover what you can do. Retuning, like you tune the guitar means scraping a bit off a reed to get it to sound in tune.
As you’ve played guitar for a few years, you probably know how to read music. If so, you’ll know the notes on the staff. Then learn the notes on the harmonica and away you can go, as long as you’ve perfected finding a single hole.
It would be helpful if you told us how far into harmonicas you are. Got any books, know about tongue blocking or pucker etc. what type of music do you want to play. You bring up the subject and someone will post information on it. Stick with it, it gets easier.

my first harp 2 months 1 week ago #14099

I'm speechless.

my first harp 2 months 1 week ago #14101

• keith
  • Thank you received: 220
It is best to learn to get good clean single notes, even if you decide to play blues.

Bending can be hard to achieve for a beginner at first, I can only just manage a few, but I prefer to play melodies, so haven't persisted with it, & mainly play solo tuned chromatics

Last Edit: by keith.
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds