Members

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:55 am 

Hello, I try to search blues songs which can be played only with harmonica and vocals. I mean songs where for example you sing 2 bars of vocals and play 2 bars of harmonica. I don't want tabs ( won't use them any more ), just videos or audio files that i can 'copy', i mean to play them in the same way. There are some videos on you tube of well known songs that can be played that way, but as they have leading guitar and other instruments i get confused. I want songs that are nice to hear in that 'solo' manner.
Can you suggest any links?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:31 pm 

Saavedra,
Checkout John Nemeth doing "Hoodoo Man Blues" just his voice and harmonica, on Youtube. Rick Estrin of the Nite Cats does "Crawlin' Kingsnake" just harmonica and voice, as well as SBW's "Too Close Together" in this solo style. Although I don't know if you'll find them on Youtube.
Both Sonny Boy Williamsons (SBW 1 and 2) performed in this style. What is refered to as Pre-War Blues might be a good start in a search.
Meaux Jeaux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:50 pm 

Thanks Meaux_Jeaux.
The "hoodoo man blues" is what i was looking for. Also the "Crawling king snake" is very good song for what i want to practise. Well, what i figured out is that every artist plays every song in his own way. Maybe i shouldn't be stuck with the exact way the others play each song, and play it more freely. I also had tried SBW1, who sounds like playing relatively easy songs, but he plays many chords (with 2 or 3 holes) and i'm afraid of misunderstanding what he is playing and play it wrong. But i will try it again, maybe it's my phobia.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:05 pm 

youtube-
dw gill aka bluephantom1896- he used to have lots on there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:12 pm 

eharp i found the "stop breaking down" played by bluephantom1896 and practice it the last days. Very nice song and also good for practise.
By the way, what a song this "crawlin king snake"? I've lost my mind. I practice that too. I've got enough work for several days :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 pm 

Saavedra,
Another tune I remembered is Muddy Waters "Can't Get No Grindin'", and while it isn't done solo, because of it's structure, it lends itself easily to this style. This tune, like many blues tunes, is in a style known as 'Call and Responce", such as in the phrase "what's the matter with the mill"? which is the "Call" and the "Responce" being "done broke down". The tune is in the key of G and played 2nd position on a C harmonica.
Listen to how the harmonica mimics the vocal. I play this tune, and vary playing the "Call" and singin' the 'Responce".
It is an easy tune to play! Learn the riff and have some fun with it. Another cool factor is that this tune is deemed to be Public Domain, meaning anyone can record it and not pay royalties as the copyright is Public Domain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:44 pm 

Meaux_Jeaux i find this tune too fast for my likes :(
However the last days i practice two or three songs simultaneously day by day (just not to get bored) and i've been getting used to this "call and response" that you say :D
I've found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVsUyrrkv4I) performance of "crawling king snake" and work on it too. As the time goes by more song seem to my ear "possible" to play with solo harmonica. "sad sad day" is definitely on the program too!
But a basic problem i have is that i forget the multiple licks that are used on each song. So i often have to come back and hear them again to recall them. I wish that's a matter of time and not my weak memory..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:33 am 

get on you tube and find goodmorning little school girl john lee williamson

good gravy is also great