Members

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:24 pm 

Just spent about 3 hours trying to figure out how to make and post a you tube, tough being technologically illiterate these days. Anyway, I flogged my way to success, I think. So many sounds I hear on the harp I don't know how to get, some I figure out and some still baffle me. Thought by doing this someone out there might be able to give me a hint. This is a G harp and the high note is a 5 blow. How do you get that raspy sound out of a 5 blow. Here is the youtube link
http://youtu.be/i-rvpb7DvCM

Thanks for any help PO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:51 pm 

sounds like he's letting the 4 hole bleed in.
i dont have a harp with me to try it.
and he's tongue blocking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:15 am 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Went out and tried it, sounds better than pucker but not quite it. Haven't been tongue blocking too long so it is probably just me needing more practice. Have a lot of questions about tongue blocking but may start another thread for that. How do you know he's tongue blocking? thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:27 am 

remember, the clip is very short!
it sounds like he is slapping his notes very quickly.
to me, that means he is, for example, drawing on holes 2,3,4 and very quickly blocking 2 and 3.
that is the basics for tb.

for that note, i think he is blowing 3,4,5 quickly slapping his tongue on 3 and 4 but aint sealing f 4 completely.

who is this a recording of and what is the song?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:53 pm 

Hi E harp, thanks for more of your time. The song is Holding Back and it came from one of the the jam rooms on Harmonicajam.com. The players handle is Beezlebob . Here is the link for the mp3 file. I couldn't get any of the links to work this morning so something is up with their site at the moment.

jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/StLoJ21Q09_HoldingBack_BycamiloHarper-BeelzeBob_KeyG.mp3

I spent some time last nite searching tongue blocking and watched some youtubes on the subject. I can see this will take a LOT of work but the sounds and effects coming out are amazing.

The link above going directly to the mp3 takes me someplace wierd. this is the link to the page it's on. It's the 41 songs down the page or the second holding back recording.

http://www.jamq.org/jamqueue/harmonica/hbgoldroom/listeningpost.php