Members

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Microphones
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 pm 

I paid £45 quid for a superlux bullet mic months ago.
I bought a plastic tape recorder mic for a quid at a booter last month. Its quite low gain but it's so crap it actually sounds better than the D112.
So, the question is: does anyone know of any schematics for fabricating one's own mic from whatever components might be commercially available?

Post subject: Re: Microphones
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:25 pm 

i think there was a thread a year or 2 ago on modern blues harmonica on this subject.
best i can do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:22 am 

roop,
The Superlux is a vocal mic in a bullet shell being sold as harp mic, not surprised the crystal mic sounds better for harmonica. Hell, IMHO the Superlux isn't a very good vocal mic, "SuperSux" would be a more appropriate name. "The sound you are now hearing is the Supersux suckin' quid from yer knickers."
Checkout Youtube, look for "homemade" harmonica mic, there is a slew of them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 am 

roop,

Have a look at http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph2/VE/TMI-micUK.htm

I use a roll-on deodorant bottle for a shell and an old telephone handset speaker (yep, speaker) as the element. Add a 1/4" jack and a volume pot and you've got a 'novel' LoZ mic for a few bucks

Cheers

Maka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:41 am 

Meux_Jeaux wrote:
roop,The Superlux is a vocal mic in a bullet shell being sold as harp mic, not surprised the crystal mic sounds better for harmonica. Hell, IMHO the Superlux isn't a very good vocal mic, "SuperSux" would be a more appropriate name. "The sound you are now hearing is the Supersux suckin' quid from yer knickers."Checkout Youtube, look for "homemade" harmonica mic, there is a slew of them.
The Superlux is not a vocal mic in a bullet shell - I think you are referring to the Nady/Bushman Torpedo bullet.

The Superlux is actually a Chinese made Green Bullet clone, with a large diaphragm, High-Z element very similar to a Shure CM.

I have gigged one regularly for 2 years now and am more than happy with it. And yes, I have a Shure bullet with a White label CM and an Astatic JT30 with an MC151, so I do know what the classic bullet mics sound like. The tonal difference between the Superlux and the GB is noticeable, but nothing I would lose sleep over. I doubt the audience would notice.

Personally I think it's a very good harp mic for the price. Like any bullet, you need to cup it tightly with an airtight seal to get the best tone.