Members

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Metronome Question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm 

First time metronome user. I downloaded a free app to use to practice with. I have tried to practice keeping the beat with my foot tap but I still lose track. What I don't know is how to set it up.
Tempo - 0-230 bpm
time signature - 2-20 notes per measure // quarter note tempo x1 or eight note tempo x2
beat as quarter, eighth, triplets, ets notes

I know this varies with the songs, but for some basic songs like

When the saints go marching in
Blowing in the Wind

Some Blues riffs - up and down blues riffs
mannish boy riff

Any help would be great!! Thanks all

Post subject: Re: Metronome Question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 am 

I've never used a metronome app, but I use a metronome a lot. My fav is a windup one with the moving vertical bar you slide the weight up and down to adjust the pace. I've got a battery powered one that 'cliks' and flashes a LED for the beat, but that doesn't 'conduct' as well as the old style one does.

As I'm not familiar with your app, I can only make generic suggestions. First one is - keep it as simple as possible!

Try around 100 bpm to start with - slower if necessary. As you get experience with the song you can get faster.

I'd try 4 notes/measure, one beat per bar. But songs might need different settings - you'll just have to 'trial and error' to see whaat works for your ability and the song.

If the app is to hard to get it to do what you want, I'd get a mechanical metronome.

Cheers
Maka

PS: Every metronome I've ever used has been broken - they all are dreadful at keeping time. It has nothing to do with my lack of ability - honest!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm 

Howdy RV!

Don't know which computer metronome you use --

I have this free one on mine: http://www.nch.com.au/metronome/index.html

I also have a nice portable Yamaha I picked up from Amazon.

Nevertheless...As Oz says: "Keep it as simple as possible!"

Myself, when I first got into JP Allen and Jon Gindick lessons, they each use rather slow counts to get you accustomed to the 'beats.' At first I thought 60 bpm was way too slow, so I just went a little faster.

Yet 60 bpm is about the rate of a resting heartbeat. And since I have a grandfather style clock complete with swinging pendulum in my living room -- Well, I actually sat and watched it go to and fro to 'internalize' the rhythm. It works!

Another trick, as Oz suggests, is to set the metronome around 100 bpm (or something you feel comfortable with) but then just let it play in the background. I've done this using both the computer and Yamaha counters. Let the beat develop into your internal rhythm cycle, and you'll find you can keep time soon enough easily enough.

One other trick is to find some backing tracks with strong bass and/or drumlines -- Then adjust your metronome to those beats. Of course, you'll want slow and steady lines to start with. And then doing all the above learn and take it from there!

Also, if you happen to mess up or get lost every so often -- No biggie, don't sweat it. Just act as though you meant to do that all along, and then pick it right up again and keep going!

Hope all this helps!

"Have Harp, Will Travel!" 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:38 pm 

Hello, RVGypsy.

Don't use a metronome to accompany your tune playing. It's not a drummer.

Use a metronome for practicing techniques (scales, arpeggios, chords, breath patterns,etc.) at different tempi, to master the techniques.

Try to set a metronome to any tune, and you'll often find that the pulse rate fluctuates, in and out of a pre-set tempo.

Musicians rarely play a tune in one tempo from beginning to end. As with marks of expression (dynamics, intensity), tempo is usually flexible.

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:33 am 

Very good info, Mr J_B! :)

Thanks for putting into words what I've always felt about using metronomes... :roll:

Smiles! :D

Keep On Harpin'! 8)