Members

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2 draw bending
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:25 am 

Hi all,
First of all let me express my utmost respect to all of you contributing to this site. It is probably the best put together resource for beginners and intermediate learners. So thank you all for it.

I have a chronic problem with the 2 draw bend, for some reason. I have a 'decent' 4 draw bend, an OK 3 draw half step+whole step bend, an acceptable 5 draw bend (though I don't use it too much, since I'm essentially a beginner) but my 2 draw is like the belching of Holden Caulfield's sister - I can hear something but nothing of significance. I play with (at least try to) lip blocking - as long as I don't tense up (usually from frustration), then I automatically go to lip pursing (puckering), until I realize it and force myself to relax the jaw. I also try to breath from the diaphragm as much as possible (tried standing up, sitting down, upside down-)

My question is this. I don't assume that the 2 draw bend is any different from all the other bends technique wise, but is there anything that causes the 2 draw to behave differently when bent? My 2 draw is (relatively) stable and full sounding - well, considering.

Another thing that might be a problem is that I'm a relatively shy player, meaning I don't necessarily play very loud.

Sorry for being so long and thanks in advance for the inputs.
Now I'm gonna go back and play something that doesn't require a 2 draw bend.
cheers

CP

Post subject: Re: 2 draw bending
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hello, ChePety.

Welcome to the Harmonica Club.

The hole 2 draw bends, the hole 3 draw bends, and hole 10 blow bends are the most difficult bends to control on a 10-hole diatonic Richter system harmonica ("blues harp"). By the word, "control," I mean to play accurately, in tune.

These holes each have 2 or more bends available, making the control of the bends difficult.

You also mentioned the hole 5 draw bend. On this type of harmonica, on a key of C harp, the hole 5 draw bend is not used, because it's either an indefinite pitch, a quarter tone below the draw F note (somewhere between the draw F and the blow E pitch), or a half tone (Fb = E ) below the F.

Since you are playing an E when bending on the F, the draw E is only occasionally used as a breath saver. Hole 5 blow is an E.

Keep practicing, and you might discover that the hole 2 draw bends will work eventually.

Best Regards

John Broecker

Post subject: Re: 2 draw bending
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm 

And by all means, Che...

Read and click on through Wanderin' Wilf's pages on this:

http://www.harpsurgery.com/how-to-play/draw-bends/

Single-handedly saved quite many a chapped lips and more than a few thousands frustrations, he has! :wink:

Good luck!

"Have Harp, Will Travel!" 8)