Members

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Swan Harmonicas?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 pm 

Ok, I know, "Don't buy cheap harmonicas", been there, done that, got the T shirt,LOL. Yep, it's true, cheap harps are pretty much junk BUT from what I've been reading about Swan the "cheap" part is probably in what they're paying their workers more then in the quality of the harp. Just heard a guy play "Midnight Cowboy" on a Swan 1248 Chromatic and it totally blew me away. He's saying it compares closely to his Suzuki Chromatic. So, does anyone have any direct experience with Swan harps and what did you think about them? Not just looking for "good for the money" but more like "good for any amount of money". LOL.

Post subject: Re: Swan Harmonicas?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:10 am 

I've got three Swans. I use them to 'test the waters' in areas I'm interested in, but don't want to invest too much. I've got a Mini (4 hole, 8 note diatonic), a 48 Chord Compact and a Bass. The Mini is more of a toy, but it plays a full octave - it's holes 4 - 7 of a normal diatonic. I can't tongue block - the holes are too small, but it bends ok.

The Bass (29 holes in rows of 14 (black keys + filled gaps) and 15 (white keys), 2 octaves C to C, all blow) is the least sturdy of the three, but it functions OK and I use it for gigs as a novelty for a song or two (same with the mini). Has to be amplified (and you must use a mic on a stand) in anything but the smallest, quietest of rooms.

The 48 Chord Compact is very sturdy. While it lacks the two octaves of the Hohner/Suzuki equivalents (it has 4 reeds/notes per chord whereas the other two have 8 - 2 lots of four an octave apart) it cost less than 10% of the Hohner in Australia ($190 versus $2540). The main issue I have is not related to the brand - the layout of the chords is the same as the Hohner and I find it very unintuitive. It has been 'parked' as a future project to learn how to drive it properly. It does occassionally get dragged out at a gig - usually just to impress with its size. I can play a couple of 3 chord songs if I have to. This has to be amplified too.

I wouldn't recommend Swan to anyone who wants to play blues on diatonics - a Lee Oskar (I've got 17 over 13 keys) or SP20 or similar would be more appropriate. But if you've already got diatonics and want to try something a bit different without excessive investment, the Swans aren't a bad place to start.

And yes, I do have a Swan 16 hole chromatic on my eBay watch list. They're all 'Buy It Now', but one day they might have an auction starting at 99c and I'll get my chance to try out chromatics on the cheap.

And just to fill in the collection, I have a (cheap) Mississippi tremolo, which gets used at fair bit at gigs, particularly when playing with ukulele dudes!

Cheers

Maka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:31 pm 

Hello, Swanees.

My Swan 1664 slide chromatic (16 holes, 64 reeds) is an excellent harmonica. I bought it online from http://www.grothmusic.com about 5-6 years ago.

At that time, I paid $49.95 plus shipping charges for it. In those days, a Hohner 64 Chromonica (#280) sold for about 4 times that price.

The 1664 is made by Jiangsu Swan of Jiangsu, China (complete address if you request it), formerly Swan harmonicas.

It's dificult to find a Swan seller in the USA these days.

I like it as much as my Hohners. The sound isn't as full as a Hohner, but the quality of the Swan materials & workmanship is high.
It's surprising for a low-priced Chinese slide chromatic.

If you are morally or ethically concerned about unfair and unsafe labor practices, slave labor, or below-cost product dumping on the world market, don't buy these harmonicas.

If you are looking for a real bargain, buy these products.

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:41 am 

Ha! Swan is a Chinese brand.
As a Chinese, I know that Swan probably is the best China made Chromatic. With a few adjustments it can be good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:01 pm 

John is going to be kind enough to send me a Huang Cadet 12 Chromatic to mess around on. Should give me an idea of weather or not I'll pick up on playing Chromatic or if I should stick with Diatonic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 pm 

Chromatic is excellent! I'd advise you to have a try!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:37 pm 

Hello, TNFrank.

DON'T DO THIS ON A WOOD-COMBED HARMONICA:

Your Huang Cadet 12 chromatic harmonica (was made in Shanghai, China), and the others in the package, (all with plastic combs) have been:

soaked in a tray of warm tap water with a drop of liquid dish detergent,for about 20 minutes;

Scrubbed with a clean toothbrush, into the mouthpiece holes, for about a minute each harp;

rinsed in warm tap water, under the faucet, for about a minute each harp;

disinfected and soaked in anti-bacterial mouthwash, for about 20 minutes;

rinsed in warm tap water, under the faucet, for a minute each harp;

tapped into the hand with the mouthpiece holes facing down into the hand, to get most of the liquids out;

then placed on a lint-free cloth or towel with the mouthpieces facing down, for a half hour;

then placed on the towel with the mouthpieces facing up, to air dry overnight.

The covers remain on the harmonicas throughout the process. No dis-assembly required.

You should do this cleaning and disinfecting routine (or, your own method),about once a month,
if you are a frequent player (more than 7 hours a week).

If you play less than 7 hours a week, once every 2 months may be enough.

Best regards

John Broecker

Last edited by john_broecker on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:00 pm 

Wow, that's quite a cleaning process. For a plastic comb harp I normally just pull off the covers and set them aside. Pull the reed plates off of the comb and then put the reed plates and comb into boiling water for a couple minutes hanging from a stainless wire so they don't touch the bottom of the pan. Then I take them out and put them onto a few layers of paper towel and blot off the excess water. The heat dries them the rest of the way out then I clean the cover plates with a paper towel and some alcohol(rubbing, not good bourbon or vodka,LOL) then reassemble everything.
I'm a fairly dry player and I always brush my teeth before I play so I won't have to worry about food particals getting into the harp.
The mouthwash idea does sound like a good one though, it'd probably keep my harps minty fresh.

I also don't think my boiling water method would be good for the Chromatic since it'd probably mess up the valves so I'll use your method on it being very careful around the valves.
I'm sure I'll learn a few ways to clean up harps as I read and learn more about it. Thanks for the post. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 pm 

I would never use boiling water. ABS plastic loses rigidity around 85 degrees Centigrade. Too hot and you risk warping the comb. I suspect repeated heat expansion of rivets could lead to loose reeds too.

Lukewarm water + denture tablet, rinse and a long air-dry works a treat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 pm 

I did not know that. Boiling water probably isn't the best way then. Does rubbing alcohol have any bad effects on ABS plastic? It may just be better to pull the harp apart and use a soft tooth brush and some alcohol as long as the alcohol won't mess anything up. Then a short soak in mouthwash to freshen things up so it'll taste good and that should kill all the germs and clean out all the harmonicus stuff that builds up.
Just the smell of dish soap makes me gag, I'd not want to taste it too.LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:22 pm 

Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is fine on ABS.

I'm not too OCD about cleaning my harps; it's only an issue when someone else plays them. Bacteria and sterility are a modern obsession. Any bacteria on my harps came from my mouth in the first place, so they aren't a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm 

Also, wouldn't most germs die off after a couple days in a dry environment? Either way, I think a good scrubbing with a soft tooth brush and some alcohol(or even mouth wash with alcohol in it) would go a long way to giving one some peace of mind that he's not getting someone else's spit in his/her mouth,LOL.
Only thing I'm really OCD about is keeping my truck clean and in neat order and getting sets of things. Probably some other things that I don't notice but that others would say I was OCD about too but since I don't notice them I can't tell ya'll about em'. LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:51 pm 

In my youth I found that a good scrubbing and some alcohol often led to sharing of saliva. Not so much nowadays. :?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:37 am 

No one plays my harmonicas but me!

With that in mind, I do not play immediately after eating and I do brush and rinse my mouth out first. Still, the harps need to be cleaned on occasion. A simple rinse under warm water and a few taps on the palm of my hand and the harps are ready to go.

I have owned a Hohner Chromatica for 30 years and have never had as much fun with it as I have had with my diatonics -- mostly Special 20s and Blues Harps.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:23 pm 

TNFrank wrote:
So, does anyone have any direct experience with Swan harps and what did you think about them?

Swan harmonicas are cheap, but they sounds in my opinion OK.
Swan Harmonica Demo - Blues (video)