Members

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:19 pm 

I've been having a bit of a ponder on this, and want to test opinion.

Right now, we have 2 monthly tunes features going:

1. Free-for-all "post anything with a title starting with one of this month's letters" challenge
2. Take this month's nominated well-known tune and style it up.

I was thinking about proposing a third challenge, that being each month to post 3 song titles (one easy tune, one intermediate level and one advanced) as suggestions for people to learn, practice and then post their results. It's really just a new slant on what we're doing already, but with an emphasis on broading people's repertoires (my big weakness) and challenging their current skills.

Any thoughts, or am I just spouting rubbish again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:12 pm 

Don't know Geoff,

At the moment it is going well and it's a bit of fun,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:33 pm 

Geoff,
I like the idea but, if it is to be challenging, we should forget the 'easy and 'intermediate' songs as we can play them now in the present set up.
A 'challenge' should be just that, covering all forms of music.
The only music I ever played before trying to learn the harmonica was Rock music.
Now I would like to try everything!!! At least once!! :) :) :)
We need members who know music to set the right challenging questions? That lets me out! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Henry. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:06 pm 

Geoff, i'm not sure i quite understand the idea as such. :(

Who should decide what is an advanced song - and what is an advanced song?

btw - any song can be played in an advanced way. Just choose a position with overblows or overdraws :D (for some songs 1. position is the hardest way to play in).

Could you explain your idea a little more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:08 pm 

Knud wrote:
Geoff, i'm not sure i quite understand the idea as such. :(

Who should decide what is an advanced song - and what is an advanced song?

btw - any song can be played in an advanced way. Just choose a position with overblows or overdraws :D (for some songs 1. position is the hardest way to play in).

Could you explain your idea a little more?

Understood, Knud. OK, I'll try.

Basically, when you're trying to extend your repertoire, it can often be diffficult to choose what to learn next, since you don't know how challenging a choice is until you've already started trying to learn it. I'm just suggesting that, once a month, three new song titles are put forward for people to have a go learning. Those three titles would be songs that are recognised as challenging, but not prohibitively difficult for each of the three levels of playing ability.

Now, realistically we're already posting a beginner level song each month now (Red River Valley, for example), even though the emphasis is on "what can you do with it" rather than "can you learn to play it competently". However, I thought it might be helpful for intermediate and advanced players to have monthly "targets" as well. Nonetheless, I realise what you're all saying in that someone has to make a decision about what level a song is, and that inherently requires an advanced player. For that reason, I suspect my idea is probably unworkable.

Nonetheless, what I'm trying to achieve overall is to come up with a few more games (for want of a better description) that can help players of all levels on the forum to be challenged, to practice and to progress. I think the Monthly Tunes section has now shown that these kind of activities are worthwhile, so I'm just trying to kick about ideas and see if we can build on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:24 pm 

majorbloodnock wrote:
Those three titles would be songs that are recognised as challenging, but not prohibitively difficult for each of the three levels of playing ability.

Now, realistically we're already posting a beginner level song each month now (Red River Valley, for example),

Play Red River in 12. position - that's not for beginners. My point is, the melody does'nt determine on what level you have to play. Still, i don't know what an advanced player is (normally the term advanced is used about blues-playing (on diatonic) - and whether you can improvise, can play in gigs and such things, that can be hard to define/decide about a melody as goals. Maybe improvising can be a goal for an advanced player (but it could be for an intermidiate and a beginner too :lol: ).

majorbloodnock wrote:
I think the Monthly Tunes section has now shown that these kind of activities are worthwhile, so I'm just trying to kick about ideas and see if we can build on it.

I agree totally with you, Geoff. Monthly tunes certainly have given me motivation and goals - and what should we do when that stops (to start from the beginning with A&B doesn't make much sense). I think it's very good of you to bring ideas up of what to do next . Let's continue to elaborate more on such ideas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:04 pm 

I understand what you mean, Knud. I think the problem for beginners and intermediate level players is that you don't know what you don't know. If you go to a tutor, you'll get some pretty specific homework ("try learning this song" rather than "find something by XYZ and try learning it"), and you'll have a goal. However, as the pupil, you won't know until after you've tried learning Summertime (for instance) that it'll probably need you to practice a bend or two. You might think that "Blueberry Hill" is pretty simple - until you try playing it.

What it boils down to, I suppose, is that experienced players can recognise what songs are good for practicing or introducing different techniques, and that's knowledge that's useful to those with less experience. What would be useful on this forum would be more methods of passing that knowledge on.

Perhaps an alternative (no idea how much work this would end up being) might be to have a kind of song "menu", where you pick a technique you want to practice, then have a number of appropriate songs suggested to you.

As I say, just kicking ideas about, and glad you're happy to do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:23 pm 

majorbloodnock wrote:
What would be useful on this forum would be more methods of passing that knowledge on.

Perhaps an alternative (no idea how much work this would end up being) might be to have a kind of song "menu", where you pick a technique you want to practice, then have a number of appropriate songs suggested to you.

Geoff, i can follow that idea. Could be something like:
    Play Red River with throatvibrato on note x and note y.
    Play Summertime in 2. pos. - here are the tabs.
    Play this melody - and make a warble/trill in it. Explaining evt. what these concepts is meaning.
    Play the melody-track of this backingtrack.
Yes, that would be nice. :D Could be done - if members will and can contribute. In fact that requires only one member ("advanced" player). But will and can they? And if one member could do it - wouldn't he make is own site with lessons?[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:39 am 

Knud wrote:
majorbloodnock wrote:
I think the Monthly Tunes section has now shown that these kind of activities are worthwhile, so I'm just trying to kick about ideas and see if we can build on it.

I agree totally with you, Geoff. Monthly tunes certainly have given me motivation and goals - and what should we do when that stops (to start from the beginning with A&B doesn't make much sense). I think it's very good of you to bring ideas up of what to do next . Let's continue to elaborate more on such ideas

OK, here's an idea for when we get to the end of the alphabet. It's kind of like a musical version of "word association".

Basically, a thread is started each month with a "reference" tune (let's say "Boom Boom" as an example). Then, everyone who's interested submits posts containing their renditions of related songs. The relationship can be as strong or as tenuous as you like, so long as you state what it is in your post (might be same artist as the "reference" tune, same key, title bearing some similarity to the "reference" tune - such as "Boom Boom, out go the lights"). The last person in the monthly thread to post a reply gets their posting taken and used as the "reference" tune for the next month. Bonus points for good performances, original/obscure tunes, amusing excuses for associations.

What do you reckon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 pm 

Another possibility would be to name a theme and then let people post with the same " The relationship can be as strong or as tenuous as you like, so long as you state what it is in your post ". Themes might be an artist, a mood, the weather etc. This would give people a lot of flexibility.

Another thought is that we try one approach for a month or two and then try another until we hit on one that seems to be one that is comfortable for all.

More fodder for the bin!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:41 pm 

Hi you guys. I'm new to this site and you mentioned "Monthly Tunes" and getting members to do exercises etc etc etc....... How can I access these Monthly Tunes and participate?

Can you tell me if there is a special area I should go to that I have not found yet?

p.s. While I'm here, could you direct me to any lessons or notes on how to use the chat room. I've attended it each time I and others are online but only found one member in 3 months in the chat room. I'm trying to find out if my audio works. Are there any instructions etc.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:29 am 

all right, Okay, and all that rot. I never even knew that a monthly tune existed. I just scanned all the drop downs and found nothing that mentioned monthly tune. I saw [song to leran) but nothing else. What is monthly tune listed as?
Geo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:44 pm 

It's been quite awhile since we had these things around. We had a monthly tune listed in the forum and if i remember right each month had different letters of the alphabet . Like January would be A B and C . So you would pick songs to play that had titles starting with those three letters.
We also used to have a section called name that tune where we would send in part or all of a verse from a song and everyone would try to guess what the song title was. I have no idea where you would find them but they were fun ! I kind of miss that stuff . :)
Oldguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:41 pm 

Thanks muchly. I thought my computer was in some select caste of the club and we couldn't see it. Sounds good to me. As far as easy and hard tunes, I must say there are levels: Yankee Doodle is much different than the William Tell Overture......on any instrument. As to styles and stunts, i.e. the blues and jazz and bending or chugging, these can be applied to the music as it exudes from your soul.
Geo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:59 am 

Hello Geo

"Monthly tunes" was going on for about 2 years i think. But only 5-10 players/members were participating - but they were very busy :D

Here is an example: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2382&hilit=monthly+tunes

You can't listen to the posted tunes though - they are "gone".

I think about 3-500 songs where uploaded in that period. At least!

I can see a listing of my songs - but i can't access them. "It appears that your subscription has expired" haha :o :D Ok, it's only about 150 songs i think. Long time ago....

(Ralphyboy - i remember what i promised you..., "" Before The Rain ")