Members

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New thread called "Gear"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:01 am 

How about starting this new thread on the main board?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 pm 

Brother Matznick,

I like the idea.

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 am 

Gear Acquisition Syndrome ====> the road to the dark side

Many harps, mics, amps, PAs, cables, stands etc etc etc. Never enough!

Maka
An addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:22 am 

Brothers & Sisters of Gear,

Let's start it right here and let the moderators move it.

Harps, mics, cables, tone effects, amps and PA's,

I have wanted to go amplified for quite some time. I figured to get a mic and cable and plug into something small but hope for bigger. Lots of "nice" amp gear. (Nice rhymes with price!)

So I looked for mics. Shure, Hohner, Shaker, i-mics, eBay, music vendors references from Angelfire, Pat Missin, sound bites from everybody that's a pro, semi-pro and rank beginner. Bottle-O-Blues, bullet-type, dynamic, cardioid and so forth. When I almost made up my mind the prices surged. I started working a LOT of overtime...

Ever seen what mics can go for these days? Half a weeks pay...and UP!

So I went to Craig's List. Darned if I didn't find a pair of mics for a reasonable price. Negotiated a little and now I have a Shure bullet with attached cable and a Shaker that needed an impedance jack and cable for almost the price of the mic. But now I have a mic, or two.

Went to a friends house, (Twobulls), and we tried the mics. The green bullet is mellow, gives the "Chicago sound" and has little background static. The Shaker is highly sensitive and picks up lots of small vibrations. But I have two mics...And I need a bigger harp/gear case. [ ; - >

You can chase info on mics and prices. You'll find out that, like other gear, you "learn the mic" just like you'll learn amp settings, impedance, room size and how much power you'll be comfortable with and what you can afford.

There's a lot to be said for the learning curve and price of mics. We all seem to start at one end of the scale and look to move to the other end of that scale. Sage advice says that you need to have a good acoustic ability before you jump onto the amp bandwagon. Not bad advice. Keep your costs under control. Get with somebody whom knows, has and plays mic'd. Do some playing at your local music store with in-house equipment. Ask about the needs of playing amped. Learn about impedance. But, bottom line, is that if you are going to mic be proficient before you spend a lot of money. One author says 'good in, good out; junk in, junk out'. Not a bad deal.

Find a mic "fit" for you, i.e. some of us have hands big enough to palm a basketball; others can only handle a golf ball. How you "cup" when handling your mic and the quality of your ability to seal around the mic will help or hurt your confidence. Mini-mics may be your answer. Others like to go BIG and use a mic on a stand, like the Shure Super 55. You have to get some experience with what's out here before you spend a lot and then give up harp altogether because you can't get the sound you expected.

Play "with" it versus work "at" it. You'll be a lot happier. And your expenses will thank you for the effort.

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:25 am 

I also struggle with harp microphones. I use a the Red Howler mic, but it's hard for me to perform with the mic in hand.

Right now I'm investigating a new design for amplified harmonica. There is actually an electric amplified harmonica sold by the folks at Turboharp. It's called the Turboharp ELX. It uses optical leads on each reed in a special lid enclosure designed to hold Honer Special 20s. The setup allows the player to swap out the comb and reed plates to switch keys. The optical lead senses the movement of each reed. It can be plugged into a small portable amp and also an effects setup. The outer lid case is shaped using the Turbo lid ergonomic design.

I got a regular turbo lid cover set to try out, but find the low end is harder for me to play because I don't have a large mouth and the low end is larger than the high end. It's comfortable to hold in your hand though. I suggested to the company that they want to make a model in a smaller size, but right now they are all sized the same.

You can check it out at http://www.turboharp.com/all-products/th-elx.html. The contacts there are very helpful if you have questions.