Members

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Volbeat heaven nor hell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:10 am 

I heard the song heaven nor hell by a band called volbeat and was really interested on how you would play the bits of harmonica in the song. I have searched everywere for a tutorial or anything but cant find anything usefull

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 pm 

http://youtu.be/uWPPgPz-TXI

This is played in the key of E. He is playing in 2. position (that means an A-harp). Bending a lot on -2 and -4. -2 -2' -2 -2' -2 -2' -2 -2' (at 0:18).
-4 -4' -4 -4' -4 -4' -4 (at 3:28), then warble on -5/-4. Ind the ending he makes only bendings on -3. -3 -3'........Just examples.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 pm 

Knud wrote:
http://youtu.be/uWPPgPz-TXI

This is played in the key of E. He is playing in 2. position (that means an A-harp). Bending a lot on -2 and -4. -2 -2' -2 -2' -2 -2' -2 -2' (at 0:18).
-4 -4' -4 -4' -4 -4' -4 (at 3:28), then warble on -5/-4. Ind the ending he makes only bendings on -3. -3 -3'........Just examples.
Am I looking at the circle backwards? Wouldn't 2nd Pos from E be B? And wouldn't 2nd Pos from the key of A be E? (I still don't understand this stuff very well, and maybe I am getting mixed messages.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:10 pm 

it is like i wrote. Playing 2. position on a given harp (key of harp) is to play the next key (clockwise) in the circle (of fifth). A-harp sound like E (music-key) if you play it in 2. position. A-harp (2. position) -> music key of E.

If you want to play a given music-key (in this example E) then you must go backwards in the circle to find the harp so playing in 2. postion will sound in the music-key. That's an A-harp. Music key of E -> play A-harp (in 2. position.

If you use a B-harp and want music-key of E then you must play in 12. position.

If you use a E-harp and want music-key of A you must also play in 12. position.

If you use a B-harp and play it in 2. position you are playing in F# (F sharp).

Does this help?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:23 pm 

Knud wrote:
it is like i wrote. Playing 2. position on a given harp (key of harp) is to play the next key (clockwise) in the circle (of fifth). A-harp sound like E (music-key) if you play it in 2. position. A-harp (2. position) -> music key of E.

If you want to play a given music-key (in this example E) then you must go backwards in the circle to find the harp so playing in 2. postion will sound in the music-key. That's an A-harp. Music key of E -> play A-harp (in 2. position.

If you use a B-harp and want music-key of E then you must play in 12. position.

If you use a E-harp and want music-key of A you must also play in 12. position.

If you use a B-harp and play it in 2. position you are playing in F# (F sharp).

Does this help?
Yep, It's all in the semantics. We are saying the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:33 pm 

Yes maybe, but, excuse me, i think my semantic is more corret(precise). You must differentiate between music-key and key of harp (and mention those).

An since you brought it up you must have had the thought/meaning that i was wrong about the position/harp.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 pm 

Knud wrote:
Yes maybe, but, excuse me, i think my semantic is more corret(precise). You must differentiate between music-key and key of harp (and mention those).

An since you brought it up you must have had the thought/meaning that i was wrong about the position/harp.
OK Knud, let me be more specific (and agree about being specific). I thought that when music was written in the key of say C, that that (Key C) was the 1st position and that clockwise on the "wheel" the second position for that piece of music would be played with a Key G harp. IF that is true then if the music was written in the key of E, the next position clockwise on the "wheel" is B, so the second position is played with the Key B harp.

Similarly, if a piece of music is written in the key of A, the next (2nd) position clockwise on the "wheel" is E (so an E harp would be needed to play second position.

Personally, and yes, you are excused, but I don't care who is more correct. I just what to know the correct nomenclature for this stuff, because I certainly don't know it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 pm 

slothead wrote:
I thought that when music was written in the key of say C, that that (Key C) was the 1st position and that clockwise on the "wheel" the second position for that piece of music would be played with a Key G harp.

It is NOT so.

Music key C on a C-harp is 1. pos. - yes. Music key G played on a C-harp is 2. position.

Music key C played on G-harp is playing 12. position.

Sorry - but you got it wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:34 pm 

Knud wrote:
slothead wrote:
I thought that when music was written in the key of say C, that that (Key C) was the 1st position and that clockwise on the "wheel" the second position for that piece of music would be played with a Key G harp.

It is NOT so.

Music key C on a C-harp is 1. pos. - yes. Music key G played on a C-harp is 2. position.

Music key C played on G-harp is playing 12. position.

Sorry - but you got it wrong.
OK thanks. I got some bad info and have conflicting "key wheels"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm 

Ok.

Also look here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Harmonica/ ... ions_Chart, here: http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/ (under "Positions) and maybe here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Harmonica/Positions

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 am 

Thanks that really helped :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 pm 

I know this is an older post, but its how I found the forum (via googling Volbeat Harmonica), because I too kind of decided to pick up the harp because songs like Heaven nor Hell.

I'm super new (playing 10 days or so now), but my question is more about the harmonica used in this song than the tab.

I see from the tab that its a lot of bends and warbling which I've not started to learn yet.
Is it the bending, the key of the harmonica, or the make and model of harmonica that gives this particular solo/riff that 'twangy' sound?

I'm betting its the key and the bending...I know from my very modest guitar skills that some chords/keys just have "that sound" to them...like (I think its) E major and A minor get used in somber/sad songs and sound "Spanishy"...the same way you hear power chords in rock songs, not classical guitar.

Basically I'm trying to decide to drop a little cash on a set of special 20's since I only have a C harp (Special 20), or if I should look at different harps in key of A for playing along to this track?

Thanks!