Members

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cost of harmonicas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:51 am 

Hi all,

As a new member I'm spending time trawling the forum, finding out what's what. There are a lot of questions as to which harp is best. Just for the record, at the moment I'm blowing a combination of Marine Band, Suzuki Folk Harps, with Arias being a decent cheap set of second stringers.

My question is :- Why does it seem that branded harps are almost twice as expensive in the UK as they are in the USA?

Any ideas, cheers, Gary.

Post subject: Re: Cost of harmonicas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 pm 

Because we're stupid enough to pay through the nose without question?

I went into a shop last Monday on the off chance they may have what I wanted.

They didn't have it, but they would happily get one in for me... In the next 2 weeks... And at nearly twice the cost of interweb price... And I'd have to pay extra, incase I changed my mind and they got stuck with it..!

I did check prices for a few places in the U.S. but to be honest, with the cost of shipping it's just as cheap to Buy from U.K. Interweb.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 pm 

Hello, European Harmonifiers.

Why does a European retail harmonica buyer pay more than a USA buyer for harmonicas?

This is only a guess, with no proof.

It might be that the USA distributors order larger quantities of harmonicas. The harmonica manufacturers might sell their products at a lower price to distributors who order larger quantities.

Best Regards

joHN BroeckER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:48 pm 

Hi Wally & John,

I think you are both right, & it's a combination of both of your explanations. It's just my exasperation at how us Brits always seem to be ripped off that made me ask that question.

Wallys' experience is similar to mine, I got so fed up with dealing with shops that I only deal with one online company, never had any problems with them. Although all prices are a much of a muchness. I wouldn't want to suggest price fixing & cartelism,

All the best fellas'

Gary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:41 pm 

There is an alternative if your technicaly minded.

Buy 2nd hand and restore or modify or both!

I picked up a real old dog from Fleebay for £4.86 last week, it sounded and looked terrible.

I spent a few bob on screws, furnished it with my time and turned it around, it sounds better than new now.

With the exception of my fave brand/type in certain key's that I want to collect, I'll be filling the gaps in the diatonic scale with these abandoned, unloved harps and give them the second, proper life they deserve.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:49 am 

Hi Wally,

A friend of mine has just bought a 12 hole diatonic on ebay, he's still waiting for it to arrive, & so am I, haven't seen one for years!

I'm always a bit wary about second hand harps, from a hygene perspective, but, I know many players that it doesn't bother.

All the best, Gary.