Members

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 pm 

i got a hohner big valley tremolo harp with 24 holes in c scale. where can i find tabs for tremolo harps? tremolo is best for traditional celtic music. kindly help.... i couldn't find any tab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:46 pm 

Hello, Jasonjasso.

Welcome to the Harmonica Club.

An excellent source for the study and playing of the tremolo harmonica is the Tremolo and Octave Harmonica Method, by Phil Duncan, published by Mel Bay publishing company.

Another source is a tremolo website, but it's in an early development stage. I don't remember the site address, so it will be posted here tomorrow.

Best regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:13 pm 

Hello, Jason Jasso.

Here's the free tremolo harmonica website you requested.

It's still in the development stage, so it may not answer some of your questions.

You are invited to ask yout questions here at the Harmonica Club.

Tremolo Website:

http://thetremolo.ponderworthy.com/

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:23 pm 

Hello, Jasonjasso.

Here's a possible note chart for your Big Valley 24-hole tremolo harmonica. This is a guess.

The sign ( | ) is a harmonica hole divider. The Large letters are exhale reeds, the small letters are inhale reeds. The holes are numbered from left to right (hole #1 is the farthest on the left of the harmonica mouthpiece).

BIG VALLEY 24-HOLE TREMOLO HARMONICA, KEY OF C, ("Do" in hole #1"):

||C |d |E |g |G |b |C |d |E |f |G |a |C |b |E |d |G |f |C |g |E |a |C |b ||
||C |d |E |g |G |b |C |d |E |f |G |a |C |b |E |d |G |f |C |g |E |a |C |b ||

You will notice that the C major scale (DO,re,MI,fa,SO,la, DO,ti) starts at hole #7.
Also, the breath pattern reverses at hole 7, to the far right hole of the harmonica.

Or, it might start with hole #3 above as it's hole #1:

BIG VALLEY 24-HOLE TREMOLO HARMONICA, KEY OF C, ("Mi" in hole #1):

||E |g |G |b |C |d |E |f |G |a |C |b |E |d |G |f |C |g |E |a |C |b |E |d ||
||E |g |G |b |C |d |E |f |G |a |C |b |E |d |G |f |C |g |E |a |C |b |E |d ||

On the "Mi" chart, the C major scale starts at hole 5, and reverses breath at hole 11, to the last hole on the right of the harmonica.

You will notice that, on either note chart, the vertically stacked spellings are identical.

The tremolo harmonica has 2 vertically stacked reeds spelled the same, but one is de-tuned slightly at the factory, to produce the tremolo (wavy) sound automatically, without any extra performer techniques.

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:57 pm 

Hello again, Jasonjasso.

A photo of your Hohner catalog # M255001 Big Valley 24-double-hole (48 reeds) harmonica, with brass reeds and reed plates, plastic comb, was found in a 1999 Hohner catalog. It's in the key of C.

The catalog didn't specify if your Big Valley harp has a C note as it's hole 1 exhale (left side of the harp), or if it has an E in hole 1 exhale. See the charts in the earlier post.

Tremolo harps are made in 14-, 16-, 20-, 21-, 23-, 24-hole varieties. There are 3 different reed placements factory-installed on the 24-hole tremolos: hole 1 exhale is C, E, or G on a C harp).

Your Big Valley tremolo probably starts hole 1 as either the C or E reed placement, as shown in an earlier post.

A few Japanese and Korean 21- holers start on G, and a few Japanese, Korean, and Hohner Weekender 24-hole tremolos start on G in hole 1.

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:36 pm 

hi,
i m kap zan and had recently bought a M255001 harmonica with c codes but don't know anything about harmonica and eally want to learn it can u tell me the way to learn the hohner m255001 harmonica from starting as i m totally a newcomer in this field but love to play hormonica please help me......
with regards
kap zan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:12 pm 

Hello, Kap Zan.

Welcome to the Harmonica Club.

Your Hohner #m255001 harmonica is unknown to me by the catalog number only.

What is the model name, and how many holes are in the mouthpiece?

Thanks. With that information, we'll be able to help you.

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:25 pm 

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/media/ca ... 5001_1.jpg

it is the link of the picture of my hharmonica and it has 24 holes with "C" key and u can get description from this link.........bt please tell mme how to start learning harmonica.....i'll be thankful to u.....

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/ ... onica.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:33 pm 

Hello, Kapzan.

Thanks for your picture. Your harmonica is a Hohner Big Valley tremolo harmonica, with 24 double holes.

To get started on learning to play your instrument, find a tremolo harmonica player near you. Ask him or her to help you.

Or, buy this book: Tremolo and Octave Harmonica Method, by Phil Duncan, Mel Bay publication. It explains everything you will need to know.

Tremolo harmonicas have double vertical holes in pairs, on the mouthpiece. One pair is exhale reeds, the next pair is inhale reeds.

Vertically paired reeds have the same note spelling, but one of the two reeds is de-tuned at the factory, to create a wavy tone (tremolo) when the two vertical holes are played together.

You may play the top horizontal or bottom horizontal reeds melodicaly(one reed at a time), in multiples (chords), with or without bends (pitch alteration).

Best Regards

John Broecker