Members

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:26 pm 

What is the difference between a Hohner Blues harp and Hohner Marine Band harp? Build, tone, material, ease of play?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 pm 

Up until the early 90s there was very little difference other than a marketing ploy in the name. The reedplates were identical, the wooden comb very similar and vented covers just like the MB.

Now the Blues Harp is part of the MS range (modular system - all parts interchangeable with other harps in the range)

It is now constructed with screws and has different reed dimensions.

Playing and tonewise I cannot comment as I've never really liked MS harps - in fact the MS system put me off buying all Hohner diatonics for about 15 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:19 pm 

The Marine Band 1896 is smaller both in length and depth than the MS series models. This gives it a bit different feel in the mouth. The vented covers also make it sound a bit louder to the player, though I'm not sure there's really much difference to the listener.

To me that makes the Marine Band nicer to play, but I'm not sure there's really much difference otherwise in playability, build, materials or tone. And the MS Blues Harp will be a lot easier to open up and adjust if needed, due to the use of screws/bolts rather than nails.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:05 pm 

Is there a difference in sound between the two?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 am 

devermb wrote:
Is there a difference in sound between the two?

Well, I only have one of each, so not really that experienced with them. But I prefer the Marine Band. I do think it sounds a bit better, but that may just be from the cover vents. I'm not sure how much someone else listening would notice, but it sounds better to me.

I also think it's a bit more responsive, though my Blues Harp is a better than the other MS harps I've tried (Big River, Pro Harp, and Cross Harp).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 am 

Devermb,
The difference I hear is in the vented/unvented mouthcovers.
Meaux

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm 

Hello, I have a Hohner marine band and a Hohner blues harp both in C. I see that bending the 3rd draw hole in marine band is much more difficult than in blues harp ( it seems too tight ). Has someone noticed this? Has marine band different gaping at which i have to get used? Or the specific harmonica needs a wider gap on the 3rd draw hole to bend easily?

Well, it's ok. I made the gap biger (fortunately without opening the harmonica) and now works great :D