Members

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hohner chrometta or 270?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm 

Hello everyone!

I haveplayed a hohner 280 a little. Most of the time I play with my hohner ms harp. have playd those for three years.

I want a 12 hole chromatic. I tried the chrometta some days ago and loved the sound og it. I have not tried the 270.

Does any one have any experience with theese?

Withc one shall I choose?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 pm 

Hello, GingerViking03.

Welcome to the Harmonica Club.

Here are a few opinions on the slide chromatics you wrote about, plus a third harmonica.

You've written that you play a Hohner MS series diatonic 10-hole harmonica.

Both the Hohner #255 Chrometta 12 and the Hohner #270 Super Chromonica are good harmonicas.

The size of the mouthpiece holes on the Super Chromonica would be closer to the MS series' hole sizes than the Chrometta 12's hole sizes. You might have less re-learning with the Super Chrom.

For most players, size of the mouthpiece holes makes no difference. For me, I tried a Chrometta many years ago, and didn't like it. I wasn't happy with the large mouthpiece holes of the Chrometta, compared to the Super Chrom.

The Super Chromonica has horizontal holes open on the slider, the Chrometta has diagonal holes open on the slider.

The SC's horizontal holes allow a shorter (faster) slider action, and the SC has easier maintenance (the harmonica's diatonic scale notes are all on one reed plate). Those ideas may or may not be important to you.

The Chrometta's diagonal hole slider is longer than the SC's (slightly slower), and it's tough to find a not-working reed if needed, because the reeds are placed one on the top reed plate, the next scale note is on the lower reed plate.

The Chrometta has a plastic comb, which is more durable than the wood comb of the SC. The wood comb of the SC might warp, crack, chip or peel. The Chrometta's long slider has larger holes than the SC. Some players claim that larger slider holes permit more air into the harmonica reed chambers, producing more volume of sound.

If I was a beginner on the chromatic, my priorities for purchase would be durability, ease of play, ease of repair, and cost. The other items mentioned above would be of little importance.

I've used dozens of Super Chromonicas, and was totally satisfied with the Hohner #270 Super Chromonica, until I found a slightly more expensive slide chromatic, the Hohner CX-12.

The CX-12, in my opinion, has the best durability, best ease of play, ease of repair, but is higher in price than the other models.

All 3 models are very good to excellent in quality. If cost is a factor, buy the Super Chromonica. If cost isn't a factor, buy the CX-12.

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:25 am 

Thanks for the answer :)
Then maybe the chrometta isnt something for me. I tried it some days ago and it ahd a lovely sound!
Have not heard the 270, but I have heard that it is the best overall 12 holer out there at a resonable price.

I havent heard the cx-12, but it is very expensive here in my country.

I do not have that much money, so im giong for the 270.

How is the valve and generaly maintenance with the 270?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:00 pm 

Hello GingerViking93.

The Hohner #270 Super Chromonica is the world's most popular slide chromatic harmonica, and it's relatively low in price.

Hohner was the first harmonica company to mass produce slide chromatics, starting in 1911, with the Hohner #260 "The Chromonica." The Super Chromonica was introduced by Hohner around 1925, and was first numbered #260-1/2.

Other companies (Koch, etc.) started making slide chromatics by copying Hohner's versions, around 1928.

The Chrometta 8 (8 holes) was introduced by Hohner in the mid 1950s. It was one of the first slide chromatics with a plastic comb.

You've made a smart decision, to select the Super Chromonica instead of the Chrometta 12 (in my opinion).

Both harmonicas sound excellent. They use the same reed plates.

You've written that you have also played the Hohner #280 "64 Chromonica."

If you own the #280, you wouldn't need to buy another slide chromatic. The 280 has an extra octave (8-note scale) on the left side of the mouthpiece (lowest octave).

But, if you want another slide chromatic that is a 12-hole model, the Super Chromonica is a great value. You should not do the maintenance or repairs on your harmonica. Let Hohner do that, under warranty (free of charge).

If you buy a Hohner product, it is protected with a Limited Warranty:

"Hohner Harmonicas are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects, and properly tuned, at time of purchase. Any instrument found to contain manufacturing defects or other noticeable imperfections will be, at Hohner's option, repaired or replaced at no charge, providing the harmonica is shipped pre-paid to the Hohner Service Center.

"Hohner Harmonicas are not warranted against wear, accidental damage, negligence or tampering.

There will be a nominal postage and handling charge on all returns. If you have any problems with your Hohner product, send it to the Hohner Service Center in your country. Don't return it to the location at which you bought it.

If the Hohner Limited Warranty has been voided, Hohner will fix or replace your harmonica for a fee. The fee is usually small.

The Limited Warranty is applied to all Hohner products.

You asked about the maintenance of the Chrometta and Super Chromonica. If we compare them to the Hohner CX-12 (easiest maintenance of all existing brands and models of slide chromatics):

CX-12 is the easiest. So easy, that a new chromatic player can maintain & repair it, with a little training.

The Super Chromonica would be described as "difficult to repair" by an experienced repair & maintenance technician.

The Chromettas would be described as "very difficult to repair" by an experienced repair/maintenance technician.

The windsaver valves of Hohner slide chromatics are the industry standard for most major companies. They are very good, and dependable, if the slide chromatic is warmed up before you play it.

The valves shut off one pair of reeds in a hole when the other pair of reeds is being used.

If the harmonica isn't warmed to your body temperature (98.6 Fahrenheit or warmer), the valves will get moisture condensation. They will be too heavy to move, and will not operate. This occurs on all harmonicas with valves, all brands.

Before playing your slide chromatic valved harmonica, warm it to your body temperature:

by holding it in your hands for at least 10 minutes, or

by putting it in a pocket on your shirt or blouse, 10 minutes, or

by using a hand-warmer or heating pad, at it's lowest temperature setting, for 10 minutes (maybe less).

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 pm 

Thanks.
Then it is the 270 then :arrow:
Buying it later this year :lol: