Members

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Simple blues tune's.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 pm 

Hello everyone,
I am in great need of some tabs for some simple blues tunes in 2nd possition, when I say simple I mean tunes like 'Trouble free blues' and 'Don't get around much anymore', I have looked at harptabs. com but I don't know any of those tunes, so I am a bit lost if you know what I mean, so, I am hoping that some of you can give me some tab's, and it don't matter if I don't know the tune's you give me as if they are simple tune's then I will learn how to play them with no problem...

Thank you.

Richard (Bolan) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:45 pm 

Richard, seems like the key thing here is you need to know the song or the tab is useless to you.

That is the trouble with a tab... unless you know the timeing of the melody, it is meaningless.

Anyway, I think you need to tell people what songs you know that you want tabs for. Otherwise, sombody is going to go through a bunch of work for you that you wont have any use for like the blues tabs at harp tabs.com.

Other than learning to play by ear, a solution I can think of is to find music for the song titles of the free tabbed blues tunes at Harp Tab.Com.
Listen to the music, learn the song, use the free tab.

-Frank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:25 am 

You may want to get David Barrett's Basic Blues Harmonica Method or Mick Kinsella's Blues Harp for the Absolute Beginner. Both are good and have plenty of good 12 bar blues songs fully notated. CD also included.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:37 pm 

Hi Richard,
I'll be glad to give you any tabs that i have. Just let me know the songs that you know/want and i'll see what i can do.
Have you tried this site yet ? http://www.harpinanawhinin.com/DSongs.htm
Great tab for " Don't get around much anymore" here.
RalphyBoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:15 pm 

Rich, here is a tab of a second position blues scale.

2, 3', +4, 4', 4, 5,+6

Allthough it doesn't use all of the bent tones available in the lower register, it may help you get started.

Here is a tab for all of the available blues scale notes in holes one through six not including overbends.

+1, 1', 1, 2", 2 and +3, 3', +4, 4', 4, 5, +6

The sooner you learn to play all of the bent tones available on holes one, two, three, four and six...... you will have a much easier time of playing blues tunes by ear or by tab.

Understand that the above tabbed notes are not the only ones used to play blues on the harp. Allmost any note can be used in a blues number depending on when and where it is used in the song. The above notes are the ones you "lean on" and emphasize especially on the beat.

I feel that the best way to learn most anything on the harp is to learn it in context. Playing a blues scale is like playing a song so it is learning in the context of playing a song.

Not learning in context is to merely practice bending as a single task. I suppose it does some good, but not as much good as when you are playing part of a song or riff and you need a particulr bent tone to make it work or to make it sound correct. That way, you learn to hit that note or bent note in context because if you dont hit it, you will feel like you have an itch that you can't scratch.

-Frank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:12 pm 

Thank you all for your post's, and thank's for the detailed info Vortex. It's my Birthday today, and so I treated myself to 2 new harmonicas, they are both of the Tremlow make by Big river, and Oh Boy they sound great, my Dad plays them, and so I thought I would try them out, they are great for improvising, I have been happily making up a few tunes this afternoon, I recorded some on tape, and the playback sounded very nice, one in the key of C, has 48 holes as it is double reeded, and the other one in key of E has 32 holes..

anyway thank's again..

Richard (Bolan) :D