Members

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hohner Silver Star?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:18 pm 

Hi all! I am newbie to harmonicas and this forum! :D

I just bought instructions on how to play harmonicas, and it came with a new Hohner Silver Star. From what I can see, this is probably one of the cheapest of all brands.

If anyone has anything good or bad to say about this harmonica, I would really love to hear it!

Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:43 pm 

cheap or not it has one outstanding virtue; it is the only one you got! play it, man, play it! as time goes by you will probably want/need another. it will be then that you will go to some site and ask the age old question, "which is the best harp?".
you can do the math. book with cd and harp $25. book probably a $15 looking book. cd i would guess $10. that leaves your harp at??? $0!

it doesnt matter if it sucks or is fair or is the best damn harp god ever created, enjoy the instrument and get all you can out of it. enjoy your musical journey and keep us posted on the milestones you will pass. and keep asking questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:57 pm 

Great answer e! I don't think it could be said better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:37 am 

Harmonica 1,

I agree with the other guys, but sometimes a cheap harp can make learning a little more difficult. I got a Hohner Silver Star (in D) and a Swan (in C) that were included with a beginner's workshop I did and a beginner's instructional pack that my old Mum (nearly 80) sent.

Neither are as 'well behaved' as my Lee Oskar (in C) and it usually seem to require more effort to generate the sound on the cheaper harps. However, both have a different tone and feel and its good to find out the differences. I leave the Swan in the car, and play it at the traffic lights! The Silver Star is used as an alternative to the Lee Oskar, to hear songs in a different key and to play cross harp with my 'trained guitarist' in A.

My advice is to play the SIlver Star as much as possible, and if you feel the need to invest in another harp later on, consider a more 'up market' harmonica in a different key. The more different brands you play in the beginning, the more likely to find the one that suits your style.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:24 pm 

Hohner's Silver Star model is one of the better cheap diatonics out there. It's streets ahead of the Blues Band which itself makes their Fuego Azul appear classy.

Hering's Super Gig 20 (available here for $4.62 http://www.harphouse.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=833 ) may have relatively thin reedplates but they last forever and create plenty of volume. The chrome plates don't stain either.

Pat Missin rates it at this review. http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph5/Pat/HeringPatUK.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:29 am 

Thanks for your replies. :D