Members

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 am 

I have a M. Hohner Trumpet Call Harmonica that I found going through my late Fathers things (he was born in 1915). I don't know much about it as it has no box.

It sounds beautiful and is in great condition. It can be played from both sides, one side sounding deeper than the other. It has what appears to be a brass overlay on both sides with a raised trumpet with a mans face in the background. Both ends are red in color and wood with the makers name inscribed on both ends.

Is anyone familiar with this particular harmonica? I am interested in finding out the year it was made and the value.

Thanks! :D
Shirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:18 am 

HC Member Shirl1231,

When you are on the Forum page go to the upper right corner of the page and click on SEARCH. Put in Trumpet Call. You will find all sorts of information.

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 pm 

Hello, Shirl1231.

If you can, please post photos of your harmonica, of top side, bottom side, and mouthpiece sides.

There were 4 different models of the Trumpet Call series, made between 1906-1931(?).

Your 2-sided Hohner #426 Trumpet Call harmonica was made from circa 1912-1931, in Trossingen, Germany (at the Hohner factories).

Your Trumpet Call harp has 32 double holes on each mouthpiece,and measures 6.25 inches from left to right on the mouthpiece. It is a tremolo harmonica, probably in the keys of C (one side), and G (the other side).

Tremolo harmonicas have two horizontal rows of holes on each mouthpiece. Each vertically paired set of holes has the same pitched reeds, but one of the paired reeds in the vertical set is slightly de-tuned at the factory. When the two vertically stacked reeds are played together, a wavy tone (tremolo) is produced.

Your #426 Trumpet Call harp is known as the "Oriental Beauty," for it's single raised trumpet and the oriental man's face, on the brass covers of the harmonica.

There was also another #426 Trumpet Call, made at about the same time as the Oriental Beauty (1912-'31). It had brass covers with 2 nymphs playing trumpets, with the trumpets facing the left and right sides, and measured 7 inches left to right.It was double-sided, in keys of C and G.

Another Trumpet Call was seen only in a Sears Catalog of that era (1906-1913). It measured 7-1/2 inches left to right, and had 24 double holes, one side only.

The most famous Hohner #220 Trumpet Call harmonica was made for the 50th anniversary of the Hohner Harmonica company, in 1907-1931. It had 5 solid brass trumpets(horns)attached to the audience side of the harmonica. It was an octave harp, like today's Hohner Auto-Valve Harp. It had 10 double holes, and was a one-sided harp. It measured 4-5/8 inches from left to right on the mouthpiece.

The #220 Trumpet Call was re-issued in 2006(?),with gold-plated plastic horns. It's in the key of C.

Your Oriental Beauty has great sentimental value because it was your father's. It is also a rare harp, coveted by harmonica collectors and players. It's $ value is whatever the seller and buyer agree is a fair price. You could probably insure it for $500.

Please keep your Oriental Beauty (unless you need money), and learn to play it. We can help you with that, here at the Harmonica Club. There is a great method book for your study of the tremolo harmonica:

Tremolo & Octave Harmonica Method, by Phil Duncan, Mel Bay publisher. It includes a CD. I'm not an employee of any harmonica company or music publisher.

http://www.melbay.com

You will be sustaining your father's memory for future generations.

Best Regards

John Broecker

Last edited by john_broecker on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 pm 

Please forget the double-posting. I've erased the 2nd post, identical to the first.

John Broecker