Members

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:13 am 

I'm looking for the least expensive chromatic I can find. I'd go used if its a good enough deal but Im really looking for something around 50 bucks. I know thats really low for a chromatic but I don't have a lot of money. I might go 80 or so for a new one but I really just want a good working chromatic harp in C for as little as I can get away with. If anyone knows any online dealers or has one, please let me know. Thanks a bunch

-J

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:35 pm 

Hi, I have an old Larry Adler Professional 12 by Hohner. It is playable but I bought it as a project some time ago and never got around to doing it up.
Probably OK valve wise but suspect the windsavers want changing. You should be able to do it within the budget you quote as well as end up with a reasonable chrom.
I would take about £15 plus carriage to wherever you are.
Regards
Ben

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:05 pm 

Brother Jebster,

Contact - http://www.harmonicarepair.com/Fathead_ ... /Home.html

Click on the "HOME". Mike Easton may have something that will fill your bill!

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 am 

I have an almost new Hohner 270 in C if you are still looking. I've had it for a few years and was always going to learn to play it, but I have too much stuff to do now.. $75. It has problem 15 minutes of blow time on it.. maybe a little more??

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:20 am 

If you want a new one then look here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... tic&_rdc=1

There are harps with 10, 12 and 16 holes. The 10-holers are very, very cheap i think - about 21$. You can also have a 16-holer for about 80$. Shipping included.

And use the search-function looking for swan in this forum. I know John Broecker thinks it's an ok harp - and he is the expert.

I have a Swan myself - nothing bad to say. And i gave "nothing" for it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:24 pm 

Hello, Jebster.

E-bay is an auction website, so it's possible that you will not get what you want.

Here's another discount sales website for your harmonica search. This is a website that has established prices, no auction.

www.amazon.com

look at "musical instrruments," find "harmonicas." Click on harmonicas, and read through the list of harmonica types. Click on "chromatic harmonica," and you are ready to shop.

The prices at Amazon are better than most retail music instrument sellers, internet or at a local musical instrument store.

Knud: thanks for your kind comments, calling me an "expert" on Swan harmonicas.

I highly respect you and your posts, and Fat Jim's replies. You are the real experts at the Harmonica Club.

Best Regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 am 

I mentioned earlier that I had an old "Larry Adler" which is a "270" by any other name and that is a bit of a project.
Could Knud or John B say whether it is worth trying the Swan before spending any money on the Larry Adler?
I am not a pro player but sometimes play in our church worship group so would not be too heavly used.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:32 pm 

Hello, Benfish.

The Swan products are reliable, and inexpensive. But, your Larry Adler 12-hole harp, if re-done by a professional repair-maintenance technician, will be better sounding than the Swan.

I own a Swan 1664 (16 holes, 64 reeds) that I bought from an internet seller about 5-8 years ago. It sounds great. I've never needed maintenance or repair on it.

The model that I have has a horizontal (also called in-line) mouthpiece slider, with open holes all on only one reed plate, slider out or slider in. That's type of slide chromatic setup that I prefer.

It's been written at some website (I forget which one) that the modern Swan slide chromatics have a diagonal slider, with one hole open on the top reed plate, and the next hole is open on the bottom reed plate. This makes maintenance on the reeds more difficult.

Also, the horizontal system has a shorter slider, which some players think influences the speed of the slider. The diagonal slider is longer.

I also own several Hohner 12-holers, all Super Chromoniocas. They have wood combs with nails, and the Swans have plastic combs with screws. That's a better system.

If you want the cheapest possible slide harp, a new Educator with 10-holes has been seen listed on the internet for about $35 US dollars. The Swans start around $45 for a 10-hole. The 12-hole Swans sell for about #70 (a guess), and the 16 holers start around $75
(a guess).

Best regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:48 pm 

Hi John.
Thank you for such a detailed reply. Very helpful.
I will consider what you have advised and let you know the outcome.
Regards
Ben