Members

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 pm 

Hello, Small Harpers. This should probably be posted in the Harmonica Tab Request section.

This is a list of 101 tunes playable on a key of C mini-harp. Any tune that uses fewer than 9 scale notes is playable on a standard 4-hole mini harp, with a few chords available. Some of the tunes need to be re-arranged to fit in an octave(8-note scale).

Most of the mini-harps made today are key of C harps. Hering makes a Key of A mini, and at one time, Huang made a Mini-Cross harp, in G mixolydian (2nd position cross harp of C major). There have been other size minis made, including the 5-hole Hohner Jerry Murad model; 5-hole Seydel "Klingenthal" mini; unknown brand 2-holers, 3-holers (probably Chinese); and the Seydel Big Six.

This is a list only.

Sheet music or tabs for 101 tunes would be too much to post, and a few of the tunes are copyrighted. But, you probably already know most of these tunes, listed alphabetically by title, The letter in parenthesis (C) is the key of the tune:

A.

Ach, Du Lieber Augustine (C); Adeste Fidelis(C); Alouette (C); Amazing Grace (playable in C, F and G on a C mini);A Mighty Fortress Is Our God (C); Annie Laurie (C); Are You Lonesome Tonight? (C); Are You Sleeping? (Frere Jaques- C); Aura Lee, (C).

B.

Baa,Baa, Black Sheep (C); Battle Hymn of the Republic (C); Blow the Man Down (C); Brahms' Lullaby (C); British Grenadiers (C);Buffalo Gals (C).

C.

Camptown Races (C); Can-Can (C); Carnival of Venice (C); Cindy (C); Come, Thou Font (C); Comin'Home, Baby (D minor on a C harp); Count Your Blessings (C).

D.

Danny Boy (Farewell to Cu Cullain) (C); Danse de Hercules (C); Dayenu (Passover Song) (C); Dixie (Dixie's Land) (C); Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes (C); Du, Du, Liegst Mir Im Herzen (C).

E.

Early One Morning (C);Edio Beo Hevene Quene (C); Enjoy Yourself (...It's Later Than You Think) (C).

F.

First Noel (The) (C).

G.

Gary Owen (C); God Save The Queen (America) (C); Good King Wenceslaus (C).

H.

Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here (F on a C harp); Hail to the Victors (Michigan University Song) (C); Hannukah (C); Harmonika Waltzer (C);
He Leadeth Me, O Blessed Thought (C); He's Got the Whole World in His Hands (C); Home, Sweet Home (C); Houston(Goin Back to..) (C).

I.

I'm an Old Cowhand (C); In Munchen Stehdt Ein Hoffbrau Haus (C).

J.

Jesus Loves Me, This I Know (C); Jesus Shall Reign (C); Jolly Old St Nicholas (C); Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee (Beethoven's 9th Symphony Finale) (C); Joy to the World (G.F. Handel) (C); Just As I Am (C).

K.

Kerry Dance (The) (C).

That's all for now. We'll list song titles starting with L through Y tomorrow, in part two.

Best regards

John Broecker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:46 pm 

Hello, Mini-Moochers.

This is part two of the post, "101 Tunes Playable on a Key of C Mini-harp." For more information about minis go to part one. Today, most mini harps have a plastic comb. The Hohner Little Lady is made the same as when it was introduced, in 1924, with a pearwood comb.

The best-made mini I ever owned is the F. & R. Farrell mini, provided free, with purchase of the Blackie Schackner mini-harp book, "25 Tunes for the One Inch Mini-Harp?" I'm not sure of the title, but the book is out of print. The F. & R. Farrell company was an internet discount harmonica company, now defunct.

The Farrell harp has a plastic comb, and the reed plates are screwed and bolted to the comb. The Farrell reeds, unlike the other brands, are screwed to the reed plate. The comb-reed plate assembly is very airtight. Also, the mouthpiece holes are wider than the other brands.

Most of the minis that I own have leaks, making them difficult to play. The Suzuki 5-holers (Metal Major, Metal Minor) are surprisingly very leaky. The Huang Starlet mini offered a mini tunes booklet written by Cham-Ber Huang ("My Favorite Tues for Starlet?")published by the Huang company, the booklet was free with purchase of the Starlet. I don't knoww if Huang does that today.

L. (Song titles starting with the letter "L.")

Lightly Row (C); Li'l Liza Jane (C); Little Annie Rooney (C); Little Lady Cross Harp (Blackie Schackner), (C); Little Lady Rock (Schackner), (C); London Bridge (C); Long, Long Ago (C).

M.

Marine's Hymn(C); Mary Had a Little Lamb(C); Michael, Row the Boat Ashore(C); My Blue Heaven (C);My Bonnie (Lies Over the Ocean)(C).

N. (No known tunes for mini start with N.)

O.

Oh, Dear, What Can The Matter Be? (C); Oh, Suzannah (C); Oh, When the Saints Go Marchin' In (C); OLd Macdonald Had a Farm (C); Old MacDonald Had a Farm (variations in C, F, G ); On Top of Old Smokey (C).

P.

Pageant (Franck) (C); Peter & the Wolf Theme (Prokofiev) (C); Pop! Goes the Weasel (C); Puer Natus in Bethlehem (C).

Q. (no known tune titles for mini startin with Q).

R.

Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me (C); Row, Row, Row Your Boat (C); Russian Sailors' Dance (A minor on a C harp).

S.

Savior, Like a Shephard Lead Us ((C); Shabat Shalom (D minor on a C harp); She'll be Comin' 'Round the Mountain (C); Shortnin' Bread (C); Silent Night (C); Sponge Bob Square Pants Theme (C); Streets of Laredo (C); Sweet Hour of Prayer (C); Sweet Rosie O'Grady (F);

T.

This Old Man (C); Trumpetts (William Byrd) (C); 12th Street Rag (C); Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (the Alphabet Song) (Mozart) (C);
Twinkle, Twinkle (variations in C, F, G).

U.

Up on the Housetop (C).

V. (no song titles for mini start with V).

W.

Walter's Polka (C); We Gather Together (C); We Wish You a Merry Christmas (C); Wheels on the Bus (C); When I Grow too Old to Dream (C); When the Caissons Go Rolling Along (US Army Song) (C); Where, Oh Where Is My Little Dog Gone? (C).

X. (no song titles start with X for the mini).

Y.

Yankee Doodle (C); You're In the Army Now (C).

Z. (no titles in Z for mini harp).

Best regards